Okay, so recently I went on a group trip to Europe with a bunch of girls (ages 14-19) I had never met before. While most of them were wonderful people, two of them were rather…how do I put this nicely, extremely inexperienced travels. So, I thought I would try and politely write some tips for traveling in groups. So here we go.
- If doing a lot of walking or outdoor activities on your trip that cause you to sweat, make sure you shower!
- This was a 14 day long trip and one of the girls only showered 3 times. We were walking about 6 miles a day and sweating a lot.
- If you are sharing a room with someone and want to talk to family members back home, don’t do it at 3 am, especially if you have to get up at 6.
- If you know members of your group are religious, don’t constantly make comments like “I don’t understand why you believe ______, it’s all nonsense anyway” or “why are you giving them money? It’s all just going to help the stupid church anyway”
- If there is a picky eater in the group, don’t ask them “are you actually going to eat that?” every time they buy food.
- Don’t randomly slip “Oh, that reminds me of the time I tried to kill myself” into almost every conversation.
- You can’t make friends with or please everyone, so don’t act all bitchy toward the whole group if one person doesn’t like you.
- Don’t apologize for something and then go back to doing whatever it is you apologized for.
- Don’t ask everyone else in the group how much they’ve spent/plan to spend on gifts/souvenirs/food
- If given a food that is usually eaten with a fork and knife, use them! Don’t eat your food with your fingers unless you’re suppose to.
- Also, don’t steal other people’s food unless they have offered it to you.
Okay, so maybe I wasn’t super polite in all of this and some…probably more, of my tips are a bit sarcastic but these are all based off of things that actually happened on the trip.